Saturday, October 11, 2008

Shivapuri Hiking

I'm still sore from the hike Meredith and I went on two days ago. We went on a six hour hike through the Shivapuri National Park. We took two microbuses up to the park and then had to walk 2 km to the entrance. Meredith stuck out her thumb to a huge car and they stopped and took us the 2 km...hmmmm.

We paid 500 rupees to get into the park and then started hiking up up up to a Buddhist Nunnery called Nagi Gompa. It took about an hour to get there. We were hungry, so we asked if they would feed us and they gave us some of the best dal bhaat I've had so far. MMMM. We also met a Belgian woman who was doing her Bachelors research on the nunnery.

Then we decided to walk to Boudhanath, which was a three hour hike along a ridge and into the city. The Belgian woman said it was kind of complicated to get there and that it wasn't the best idea. Luckily, we met three Nepali boys who were on their way to Kopan, which is on the way to Boudhanath. They were like mountain goat sprites and had to wait for us to catch up. (See if you can spot them below...)



They would etch arrows into the dirt to make sure we were going the right way.



The hike was gorgeous and we saw beautiness like this the whole way:



We made it to Boudhanath before it got dark and had some Vegetarian food at the Saturday Cafe. We were tired and went home to sleep.

This is me blogging with underwear on my face.

4 comments:

Kyle said...

Ohhhhhhhh Lauren I miss you! Why do you always have underwear on your face though?

Unknown said...

I agree with the missing Lauren part of Kyle's post. Also with the underwear part too...

Served Cold said...

Why I've had underwear on my face:

1. I had a very high temperature and Meredith put my undies in cold water and then on my face to cool things down.

2. Meredith put them on my face while I was blogging to be funny.

I miss you guys, too!!

erin said...

do you know that I've been wondering who "Kyleh" was - until I just realized it was Kyle H!!!! Ahhhh.......

PS - oh and you look cute with underwear on your face too.