Monday, July 14, 2008

I'll Cut You

I had a brilliant idea to learn how to knife fight. In retrospect, this was definitely a good idea, but maybe not in the way that I had originally thought. It all began because I'm nervous about going to another country that has this kind of warning attached to it. I decided I would carry a knife with me, both for safety and practical purposes. However, I knew that with my luck and (lack of) dexterity, I should probably be trained in knife fighting. I was psyched. I looked up "knife fighting" on Craigs List. I found this posting (condensed):

Learn at Home:


Sports Fighting – Boxing, Muay Thai, MMA
Kali – Staff, Stick Fighting, Knife Fighting, Empty Hand
Jeet Kune Do – Self Defense (client specific – Kids, Women, Men)
Fitness - Get Fit at Home or in a nearby park (with weights or using
environment)

Contact Info: Bonafide Warhawk


Yeah, so that was the deal. Bonafide will teach you to cut someone. Ayla said that it "sounds psychooooo" and she didn't mean in the "I can protect myself from death" way. Nonetheless, Meredith was down, it was $20 cheaper than I thought, and we could learn in a public park. Below is Meredith learning how to kick. She's so happy when she kicks.

The man in all black who could kill me with his pinky is Bonafide. He definitely was stabbed in the eye at some point and had the softest touch for a man who could BREAK ME. At one point it started raining so hard the whole park was deserted except for us learning how to knife fight. Bonafide said we were hardcore and that it was like "military training."

Meredith and I ended up hurting each other in the most pathetic way possible. I gave her a minor bruise that she complained about for WEEEEKS (haha, this is my blog). See below:




Besides some knife fighting techniques that I still don't completely understand, I learned how to do some really easy knife-less self-defense moves. Those ended up being the most useful. Bonafide said we should continue practicing the self-defense moves on each other and the knife moves with spatulas.

My mom made a good point the other day about how it is super dangerous and stupid to introduce a knife to what could've been a non-lethal attack.

Pepper-spray it is.

3 comments:

Gaelen said...

Hell yeah! I am so excited about this blog! You better post every day Lauren! You can always count on me to read.
P.S. I can't believe that you answered a Craigslist ad from a guy named Bonafide.

BeckDietGroup said...

I like the idea of spatula fighting.

Gaelen said...

WE WANT MORE!!